Marketing digital is the promotion of products or services via digital channels, mainly the internet. Other digital channels that may be used include mobile apps, smartphone messaging, 3D printing, podcasts, digital television & radio and electronic billboards.
Because digital marketing mainly uses the internet, it is considered by many simply as online marketing. However, in the strict sense of the word they are not synonymous as it incorporates other digital platforms in addition to the internet.
The first elements of marketing digital, also called data-driven marketing, was seen in the 1980s and 1990s. Coupled with internet marketing that was developed right about that time, it has revolutionized the way marketing is done.
Advantages of Marketing Digital Over Traditional Marketing
- Cost effective. Preparing and running an advert on a digital platform is cheaper compared to the traditional methods say on radio, TV or a huge billboard by the road. This means even small business with a lower cash flows can use digital means to market their brand and products and attain growth.
- Effective. The world is moving digital hence the digital space is where a majority of the populace spends most of its time. Targeting them on the online space potentially yields good results quickly. Unlike the traditional methods, it is also easy to measure the impact of a marketing campaign.
- Flexible. It’s easy to manipulate a digital advert and customize it for a specific audience. Be there need to update or edit it to add new information it is easy to do.
- Easy to asses. Not only is it possible to quantify the impact the marketing digital has, you can also to track down important customer details like: the number of visitors, most active time, demographical factors like age, gender and location and even conversion rate. These factors makes it easy to track down the advert and assess it at various levels.
Challenges in Digital Marketing
- Huge data volumes. Consumers leave tons of information on the digital marketing platforms. Sieving through this information to pick out important details and discard the irrelevant details is a daunting task.
- Huge number of digital channels. Isn’t this good? Yes it is, to the customer not the marketer. It presents the customer many options to choose from. The marketer on the other hand has to grapple with how to configure the information to suite the various platforms since each platform has different operation models.
- Stiff competition. With many platforms already in operation and new ones being introduced very fast, the digital marketing space is increasingly getting crowded making it harder to capture the attention of the customers.
Marketing Digital Techniques
Marketers in the digital space use several methods to get product information to the targeted audience. Such methods as:
Social media marketing
The social media is a very crucial digital platform. Not only because it hosts so many active users, but is also easy to use. The marketer tactfully packages information for a certain group of the audience. The generic approach of forwarding the same message to everybody is discouraged as it is less effective.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Whatsapp, Pinterest and other social media sites can be used to build your brand, increase traffic and generate leads for your website or business.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
It is a technique used to attain high rank on the search engine result pages (SERP). SEO entails the tactful use of keywords and niche content so that when a potential consumer makes a search, the business’ website appears on the first pages. The higher the rank the greater the visibility hence a higher visitor rate that translates into high expected rate of conversion.
Search Engine Maximization (SEM)
SEM like SEO marketers also seek high ranking key words on search engine result pages. For SEM, marketers pay to have their adverts appear on search engine results. They bid on the high ranking keywords so that their product has high visibility and get maximum possible clicks.
The mobile phone too is a very potent marketing digital platform. We carry our phones everywhere we go and frequently use it, thus presenting a very ready audience which marketers target to reach.
Since the mobile devices are very personal, the marketers customize the information as per an individual’s taste and pass it via text message (SMS), multimedia message (MMS) or even in mobile apps.
Public relations (PR)
Online public relations seeks to expose the business or product far and wide, and so to the right audience. The wide online coverage is achieved by use of digital publications, web blogs and content based websites. The wide coverage results in a huge impact of the marketing digital technique.
It’s a type of marketing digital where the host receives commission for promoting another entity’s products on their site.
Pay per click
Works similar to affiliate marketing only that the host gets some commission when the ad hosted on the site is clicked.
It’s just that, marketing vial email. The content shared ranges from discount and events, promotion ads and as well as links to certain business websites.
This is custom heading element
Unit 32, Kilminchy Court
Portlaoise, Co. Laois, R32 RYY5
Tel: 087 4385 497 / 019081772